11.29.2005

Preservation Curriculum Overview

In 2004 the Northeast Document Conservation Center, in partnership with the Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science, was awarded an IMLS “Librarians for the 21st Century” grant to produce, test, and disseminate planning tools for a preservation curriculum that can be widely used in library schools. The content for the three-year project, which began in January 2005, has been developed by an advisory committee composed of leaders in the field of preservation.

The following is the course structure for "Introduction to Preservation," as designed by the advisory committee. You will find 13 posts here that represent 13 three-hour classes, each with its own preservation topic. Click on the title of the class to access an outline that will eventually be worked into a lesson plan by members of our advisory committee. The curriculum is designed for a traditional classroom setting, but we welcome advice on how best to adapt it to an online environment.

Please review the outlines and leave comments. We are especially interested in whether the class times are adequate for the information being taught, and whether or not we've omitted important information. You may comment anonymously if you like. Please keep in mind as you review the outlines that this is an introductory curriculum designed so that the teacher will be able to adapt it to his or her strengths. If you have comments about the course as a whole, please comment to this post.

We are also looking for images, videos, and activities that will supplement this curriculum. If you would like to contribute, or have any questions, feel free to contact Aimee Primeaux at NEDCC: 978-470-1010 x220; aprimeaux@nedcc.org

Click here for a course description and learning outcomes

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to suggest that a bit of time be directed to identifying resources for the storage needs of the odd bits of archive "special" collections such as paintings, regalia, and objects. I mention this, as an objects conservator I have been called upon by archivists in "special collections" to help them address the basic "how do I store this, what do I need to be aware of for long term care" for the "extras" within their holdings because, even though they are well versed in the preservation needs, standard practices and resources for archival materials, they are unfamiliar with the basic storage procedures or preservation needs for non archival materials. If you would like to explore this further, feel free to contact me Alex@artcareresources.com

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Increasingly, questions arise not of a technical nature, but of an
ethical nature. While "ethics" may
be in the curriculum, I suggest a
stronger emphasis on both personal and professional ethics be woven
thruout, not in isolation as a single topic, but in relation to
working in the "real life" situations.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I applaud this initiative, I am concerned that the curriculum is too heavily focussed on the artifact. To what extent is this valid in the increasingly digital environment? I don't have the answer, although part of it might be that we should be working towards extracting general principles from practice and then developing a curriculum that: a) starts with the general (eg reasons for preservation) then moves to the specific (eg techniques for different kinds of materials), and b) gives approximately equal weight to digital preservation.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home